2008-08-18, 5:13 p.m.
Swiped this from that good lookin gal over at Here's The Deal:
The Omnivore's Hundred is a list of foods the gastronome Andrew Wheeler thinks everyone should try at least once in their lives.
The rules of the meme: bold those you have tried, italicise those you wouldn't eat on a bet. (I have added an element ignorance and added ??? to those I donít even know.)
(Edited to add - you mean I have to go in and bold tag each one individually? The fecking BOLD thingy from W@rd isn't recognized? Damn.)
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
6. Black pudding ???
7. Cheese fondue
8. Bread pudding
10. Baba ghanoush
12. Pho (Had some a couple weeks ago. Delish.)
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi (Iíve had curried potatoes without the cauliflower. Close?)
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses ???
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters (Tried them, but not a fan . . .)
30. Bagna cauda ???
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi ???
35. Root beer float
37. Clotted cream tea ???
38. Vodka jelly
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal (I googled it. Were I in NYC and in the neighborhood, I might give it a go.)
44. Goatís milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more (provided single malt Scotch counts)
46. Fugu ??? (you too)
47. Chicken tikka masala ???
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (One. WTF is the big deal?)
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi ???
54. Paneer ??? (Saw an article where someone added paneer to their phaal. Feckin over achiever!)
55. McDonaldís Big Mac Meal (but not proud of it)
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV (Above 11% even)
59. Poutine (Iím less than 70 miles from Canada. How can I NOT have some?)
60. Carob chips
62. Sweetbreads (SO not what I was expecting)
63. Kaolin ???
64. Currywurst ???
65. Durian ???
66. Frogsí legs (caught & cleaned by me & my buddy)
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
69. Fried plantain (Hate, hate, hate anything banana) (With a passion)
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho (just not that into tomatoes in that form)
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe (not a fan of the licorice)
74. Gjetost, or brunost ???
75. Roadkill (A deer actually)
76. Baijiu ???
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
79. Lapsang souchong ???
80. Bellini ???
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky ???
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
85. Kobe beef
88. Flowers (Lily Root, Marigold, some others)
90. Criollo chocolate
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa ???
95. Mole poblano (and mole chipotle)
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee (Our local Hess stations carry it)
Boring weekend. Pond is mostly dug, padding is (was) in, waiting for the boys to come give a hand with the liner. 625sq. ft. of 45mil EPDM is really, really heavy. Our smaller pond only used 260sq.ft. and it was all I could do to move that safely. Boys are supposed to help tonight (Monday) Had to bribe them with dinner. Mooches.
Saturday I rode to the Y, did spin class and rode home. On my way in, I got passed by .the instructor (in her car). She recognized my jacket as I walked into the class and asked if I made it past the tracks without having to wait for the train (I did). Helps build your street cred when the instructor chats about biking with you before class.
Later on Saturday, I pitched in and helped a friend tear down a garage. Heíd rather that the garage came down on his terms before it finally succumbed to the weather. I think we did the garage a favor. Kinda like euthanasia. Poor thing. It was also home to several squirrels, countless wasps & yellow jackets and at least two thriving ant colonies. Sort of a community center for the local fauna. Now, if it werenít for the neatly raked patch of bare ground, youíd never know there was anything there. Elapsed time for the destruction of the garage? Under 2 hours. Rest of the day? Golf, cards & eating
Hey Q!! About the Fremont Solstice Parade. Iíll consider going if you ride tandem with me. It certainly didnít look like a race, so we ought to be fine. Need to figure out how to handle the spouses reactions later on.
Now. Speaking of riding bikes. Iím sitting here at work, looking at weather.com. We now have 84 degrees, partly sunny, winds out of the WSW at 27mph, gusting to 31mph. OUCH!! Guess which directions I need to ride to get home? South, west and southwest. Gonna be a loooong ride tonight. I better get moving now.
If you use a pop-up blocker, hit "Ctrl" when you click to leave a comment